Friday, January 28, 2011

Welcome

Welcome to my new blog, Lectio Divina!

"Lectio Divina" is a Latin term that means, literally, "Divine Reading." So this blog could be called Divine Reading. But that wouldn't sound nearly so cool, would it?

Anyway, Lectio Divina is the ancient practice of reading Scripture prayerfully and meditatively. My intention is to regularly blog my responses to daily readings as I read through the Bible this year. (Well, from February this year to February next year. What can I say? I got a late start....)

Since I believe the Bible is intended to be read in community, I hope to involve many partners in this blog. I'll be using the One-Year Bible reading plan from youversion.com - I hope you'll read along with me and use the comments section of the blog to share your own thoughts, reflections, prayers, etc. on the readings.

Isaiah 55 says "As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it ithout watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." God's word is powerful and productive, and because it is I dare to hope - expect - that reading it with friends will make a difference in our lives. I look forward to hearing from you, and reading with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment